Meal replacement is a real thing. Some mornings it is almost impossible for me to get a full meal in. Sure the kids are fed, dressed and out the door on time for school. In an effort to scrub the exhaustion off my face and make myself look like I own something other than sports hoodies and boyfriend sweats, something’s gotta give, or be given up. And it’s usually a hot breakfast. I have been loving my overnight oat recipes and can even give them to the kids (when they 1. help me make them the night before 2. feel like eating what they said they were going to eat). I love the flavor and sheer health of them, but to be honest, sometimes I just want a piece of cake. Or something that tastes like cake.
Plant based protein shakes have been a savior on mornings when I just don’t have time to chew. They’re easy to blend, come in great flavors, provide the perfect serving of protein and are versatile when it comes to mixing and matching to make new flavors. It’s like drinking dessert for breakfast and satisfies my sweet tooth without a resulting sugar crash.
Burt’s Bees has a new line of plant based protein powder that is great for mixing. Kashi Go Lean’s is great, too. Their match green tea is packed with a caffeinated spike, which is great for a morning boost, and their vanilla bean is like drinking ice cream. All you need is a few veggies and nuts and you’ve got yourself a cake-flavored breakfast that can’t be beat. You’ll want to feel like making a wish on the way out the door.
Carrot Cake Shake
- 1 scoop Vanilla plant-based protein
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Dash each of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds *optional
- Almond milk
Add all to blender and mix. About a cup of almond milk will work, but you’ll want to adjust with more if you prefer your shakes thinner.
Sweet Potato Pie Shake
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar Free Vanilla Coconut Milk or Almond Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 1/2 Ounces Steamed or Canned Sweet Potato
- 1/2 Cup Ice
Add all to blender and mix. Serve and enjoy!
Birthday Cake Protein Shake
- 1 scoop Vanilla Bean flavored plant based protein like Kashi Go Lean or Burt’s Bees
- 2 frozen bananas (cut into small pieces first, then freeze)
- ¼-½ cup vanilla almond milk (adjust amount depending on desired thickness)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of raw maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles (optional- but always fun)
Mix all ingredients except sprinkles in a blender and blend until you reach your desired consistency. Add more or less milk to help. Place a few sprinkles in a cup or jar, pour in your shake and top with the rest of the sprinkles.