Spas and health food stores offer quick solutions to detox your body, but the purest and most effective to get the job done is to eat detoxifying foods.
The goal of a detox diet is to eliminate dietary and environmental toxins from the body without removing key vitamins and nutrients. A body clear of harmful toxins works properly and rejuvenates and repairs itself quickly.
- Watermelon is 93 percent water, so it’s hydrating and acts as a natural diuretic aiding in digestion and helping the body rid itself of excess sodium and toxins. Full of nutrients like lycopene and beta carotene, watermelon imparts useful elements while eliminating the bad.
- Onions are chock-full of antibacterial and antifungal properties like chromium and are also quite rich in sulfur. Sulfur helps to stimulate the liver in producing detoxifying enzymes that help filter out toxic residue in the digestive system and keep blood flowing properly throughout the body.
- Beets are loaded with fiber, beta-carotene, flavonoids and other healthy compounds that help the liver to produce antioxidant enzymes. These enzymes help the liver to eliminate bile and other toxins from the body.
Dark Leafy Greens
- Dark leafy greens like kale, spinach and collard greens are rich in fiber and help to boost chlorophyll levels in the body’s digestive track as well as stimulate cleansing enzymes in the liver to help rid the body of environmental toxins like heavy metals and pesticides. In addition, greens like watercress also a natural diuretic which can help reduce the risk of fluid retention by stimulating urine production.
- Citrus fruits including lemons and limes are full of vitamin C which is a key vitamin in the detoxification process. They help to keep fluids flowing through the body and convert harmful toxins into water-soluble forms that are easily flushed out of the body.